Wednesday, March 31, 2010

different challenges for elem/middle/high

ok.. so some random thoughts here.. just reading over many of the Autism websites I belong to.. on my facebook page I probably have 1/2 dozen and blog on some of them regularly.. I"ve noticed one imparticular has gotten pretty "catty" lately with she said/she said type stuff...

basically, I have to say there is NO RIGHT answer that works for all .. its whatever works for your family at that point in time and it will probably change year to year just as the child and his/her challenges change... I'm sure I am not telling you all something new..

but one of the biggest things I notice is the age groups and what the challenges are:

Elem: speech.. parents just want to hear their child say mom/dad/ bye etc..; behaviors and meltodowns; school and what should my child be "getting"

Middle school: SOCIAL!!!! the kids have the academics down because the parents have done probably 20+ IEP's by now; so they have the accomodations.. the kids need soical skills help; typical peer interaction; playing sports; band; dance; drama whatever the teen can do to get them out of the house and around their counterparts.

High School: Vocational/housing... parents have realized.. holy crap! my baby who didnt say a word until he was 4, is now 18 and getting ready to leave high school!!! (or age out at 21).. OH MY GOSH!! where will he go everyday??? what will he do?? who can he be with???

Autism, down syndrome; cerebal palsy; most of the people you will be working with all; will have a lifespan disability... depending on what age you choose to work in; you may encounter these issues...

1 comment:

  1. This is so important. And it's interesting to hear what "big" concepts/skills are important at each age. Since almost everyone in this class will be licensed to teach K-12, they kind of have to know everything!

    ReplyDelete